Afro Fusion’s Joloff sauce, included in our Kiss the Cook box, is one of the brand’s most popular offerings. This tomato based sauce with fennel, celery and peppers is the perfect stand-in for your usual spaghetti sauce.
But, here are ten other ways to get creative with one of Milwaukee’s most delicious sauces:
- Quick Ratatouille: Saute chopped bell peppers, zucchini, onion, eggplant and garlic in olive oil. Add 2 parts Joloff sauce to 1 part water and some fresh basil; simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Tomato Vinaigrette: Whisk 1/4 cup red wine vinegar with 1/2 cup olive oil, some shredded basil, salt and pepper. Whisk in a spoonful of Joloff sauce. Perfect for pasta salad!
- Tomato Butter: Blend 1 stick butter and 1/4 cup Joloff sauce in a food processor; stir in chopped parsley. Use plastic wrap to roll into a log; refrigerate. Delicious on grilled corn on the cob!
- Olive Tapenade: Combine 1 cup Joloff sauce with 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives, 1/2 cup chopped roasted peppers, 1 tablespoon capers and chopped parsley; serve with crackers.
- Mussels Marinara: Saute 4 cloves sliced garlic in olive oil in a deep skillet. Add a pinch of saffron, 1/2 cup white wine, 2 cups tomato sauce and 3 pounds mussels; cover and cook until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
- Cream of Tomato Soup: Add 1 jar Joloff sauce, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Shortcut Salsa: 1 cup Joloff sauce with 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1/2 cup corn kernels, chopped cilantro, diced red onion and a dash of hot sauce.
- Bloody Mary Mix: Mix 6 ounces vodka, 1 cup Joloff sauce, 1/2 cup water, 6 tablespoons lime juice and 1 tablespoon horseradish in a pitcher; season with celery salt, Worcestershire and hot sauce.
- Poached Cod: Simmer Joloff sauce in a skillet; add cod fillets, cover and cook until just firm; top with chopped herbs.
- Eggs in Purgatory: Simmer 1 cup Joloff sauce in a small skillet. Crack in 2 eggs, cover and cook until the whites set; top with a generous pinch of black pepper and plenty of grated Parmesan cheese.